Friday, December 3, 2010

Something very different...

While waiting for client photos to finish the last of my commissions, I've decided to tackle different subjects for my next painting...the human figure and landscape! For me at least, this is not something I am comfortable with, but felt I needed to take the plunge and step out of the box for at moment and force my creative side to work harder. I've included the reference photograph along with a few works in progress:
The reference was taken a few years back during a stay at camp. The weather was very warm and the kids were enjoying swinging from a rope tied to this old reliable pine tree and jumping in the lake from a rock formation. That image brought back many memories of my own childhood when I enjoyed the same pleasure as my children did that summer day not long ago. And that is my inspiration for this painting!

6 comments:

  1. This is looking awesome already, Colette! How big is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kari and thanks! It is actually only 11 x 14 size. I will post a bigger image on my next entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure of what are using Colette....you mention painting but being a photographer, that leaves many doors open....I like what you have done so far, the trees are great as is the sky and clouds....always enviouos of a painters skills....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ray...I should have mentioned that the painting is done using pastels on suedeboard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This painting is absolutely amazing Colette!. I would have thought it was bigger than 11 x 14. So much detail went into it. I've never worked on suedeboard, but you have inspired me to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate your comments Hilda! You should give the suede a try...I find it marvelous.

    ReplyDelete