Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Next pet portait-my dog Shayli!



Being a pet portraitist, you can't believe how many times I've been asked if I had a painting or drawing of my own dog. I'd shamely answer a mumbled "no", blaming the fact that I'm busy doing portraits of other people's pets and don't have much time for my own compositions. I actually felt like the shoemaker who walks bare feet!

Another reason for my procrastination was trying to choose which reference photograph of my dog to use since there are so many I like. So I thought to myself, why not have more than one? The photograph above will be used as my first attempt at Shayli's portrait. I haven't decided what medium to use yet, perhaps pastel on sandpaper or colored pencil on drafting film...

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea Colette! I too never do any portraits of my own pets and I always wonder why? I think in my case it's because I see them everyday so.....
    But I am going to do a portrait of my dog Lili soon because she passed away last December and I miss her and maybe painting her portrait will bring her closer to me again. Enjoy painting Shayli!
    Tina xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. About time you did that Colette. Should be a winner.

    ReplyDelete