Thursday, July 5, 2012

Pastel painting in plein air...

Last weekend while at camp, I pushed myself to sit out in the wilderness and paint my first plein air using pastels and sandpaper. It was not easy sitting in the hot, scorching sun while the deer flies and horse flies chomped on my bare legs.The most difficult aspect of plein air painting for me was having to work with a 360 degree view of the world while I tried to reproduce only a fixed dimensional part of it on paper.  Hopefully, I will find it becomes easier with more practice...

On my next post, I will reveal the portrait of the Weimaraner...I am waiting client approval on the finished piece.

pastel landscape painting of river by Colette Theriault
Cedar Falls
9" x 12"
pastel on archival paper

2 comments:

  1. VERY impressive, Colette. Those greens are really nice...I always have so much problems getting the right greens for landscaping..I guess that's why I don't do any!!LOL. love the water, as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only a good job on the plein air pastel, but I really related to your written description of the experience. It was very similar to the one and only time I tried to do plein air with oils.
    I tried to paint alongside my brother who was doing impressionism, and was more familiar with, a la prima painting. I made such a royal mess that I ended up wiping the whole painting off at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete