Thursday, December 20, 2012

Golden Retriever Painting commission in progress

Finding the correct colors to paint a golden's coat accurately can be challenging. For example, the light source and reflections from surrounding objects and the environment will affect how the dog's coat color appears in a photograph and in real life. To complicate things further, the genetic variability of the retriever's coat can make one golden appear redder while another to look almost white. 

While it can be next to impossible to match exactly all the tones and subtleties on any animal's coat, it will be easier to accomplish if you have a wide array of pastel colors at your disposition. The more pastel sets you have, and from different manufacturers, the better!

So let's have a look at what I have so far...

golden retriever painting in progress by Colette Theriault


4 comments:

  1. Looking beautiful already! So the key to matching the colors of animals is to keep collecting pastels! Now I have a reason for continuing my collection! Thanks Colette :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your compliment Peggy! You know what to ask Santa now!! he he he Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colette..I LOVE THIS ONE! your client will absolutely love it. The fur looks so perfect and love his eyes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilda, I still have lots more to do on his face but I think I have the colors down pat. I will slowly reveal the rest of the portrait as it advances...

    ReplyDelete