Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Hummingbird drawing revisited




Hummingbird drawing by Colette Theriault
BEFORE
Ruby Throated Hummingbird
Drawing
Many of my colleagues know, I rarely create a  piece of art which I am totally satisfied with.  I can usually live with it, sometimes even taking years for me to really like it.   The hummingbird drawing however, was on my black list of "terribles" and I could no longer bear looking it at anymore, even though I had hung the artwork in a dark wall of the stairwell in an attempt to obscure it from view.

So today, I felt I needed to take the chance and attempt to revive that drawing. I also needed to regain my confidence which has been escaping me these past dark wintery months. I blame it on the seasons...it's just easier that way.

 As I took the dreaded drawing out of it's frame and laid it on the table, I took out my Prismacolors and chose a chocolate brown pencil.  I was  amazed at what little time it took me to achieve what I  hadn't in my first attempt.

It was just the change I needed. I am even starting to like it now.
Ruby Throated Hummingbird drawing by Colette Theriault
AFTER
Revised version of
Ruby Throated Hummingbird
Drawing





2 comments:

  1. I loved it then, I love it now, Colette. Those little details are amazing to me and love the colors in this piece. I think we all go through the "winter blues" as far as our paintings and I'm looking forward to those longer days myself.. ...Merry Christmas and Happy and Healthy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete