Tuesday, July 31, 2012

New wildlife bird painting on the easel

As an artist, it might surprise some that spending a lot of time on my computer is essential when preparing for my next composition. Before I can actually sit down and paint, I sort through the thousands of digital photographs I have taken and then sometimes need to combine and manipulate the images using Photoshop until a suitable pose is reached.  I also spend a lot of time out in the field, researching, collecting and taking photographs of whatever plant, animal or scene that might inspire a future painting.

The following work in progress features a green heron in breeding plumage. The reference photographs were taken while camping in St Augustine , FL. I would wake up early each morning before the majority of humans were out and about and when the creatures were still active, and left with 2 cameras in hand... I can spend hours in the field observing and photographing my subjects so loosing track of time is a common occurrence. The adult heron in the painting was watching over her brood which had fledged the nest and were perched hiding amongst the mangroves.

Step one of Green heron bird painting in progress by Canadian Wildlife Artist Colette Theriault

Step


3 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing the finished product. Good job on the Shih-tzus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John; I am having fun with this composition as it is pretty simple, yet I think it will be dramatic or at least I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I love the composition of this, Colette and the quiet "feel."

    ReplyDelete